Thursday, January 5, 2012

Hot New Tool!

I am a firm believer in the old adage about always having the right tool for the job.  Tom came through with a great tool from  my wish list this year:  a brulee torch.  This torch is the coolest thing ever!  It’s a tiny pistol that shoots fire.  What’s not to love? 

One of the best cookbooks ever written

I was dying to use the torch but didn’t want any more sweets in the house, so crème brulee was out.  I decided to try it out on some French Onion soup.  I turned to my go-to book for all things French , my mom’s 1961 copy of Mastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia Child.   I cook a lot of Southern food, Italian food, Mexican and Asian food but my first love is and always has been French food.  The classic techniques and focus on the finest ingredients available speak to my love of the art that is food.

This classic recipe takes some time but the depth of flavor that you gain in the end makes it worth the wait.   I have changed a couple of ingredients to suit my taste, but if you want to stick with Julia’s recipe I have included her original ingredients.



French Onion Soup

5 cups thinly sliced yellow onions (Being a Georgia girl, I used Vidalias instead)
3 tbsp. butter
1 tbsp. oil
1 tsp. salt
¼ tsp. sugar (helps the onions caramelize)
3 tbsp. flour
2 quarts beef stock
½ cup vermouth
Salt & pepper to taste
3 tbsp. Cognac
Toasted rounds of French bread
Grated Swiss cheese (We prefer a combination of provolone and grated parmesano-reggiano)


Nice and Caramelized


Cook the onions slowly in a covered heavy bottomed 4 quart pot for 15 minutes.  Uncover, turn up the heat a little and add the salt and sugar.  Continue to cook, stirring frequently, for another 30 to 40 minutes until the onions have turned an even, deep golden brown.  Sprinkle in the flour and stir and cook for 3 minutes to remove any flour-y (my word not Julia’s) taste.  Pour in the beef stock and vermouth.  Taste and check for seasoning, add salt and pepper to taste.  Simmer, partially covered, for another 40 minutes.  Add the cognac.  You are now ready to serve. 

Yummy!

To serve, fill your bowl or crock with the soup and add a piece of French bread.  Top with cheese and then run it under the broiler until the cheese melts and is bubbly.  Or if you are lucky like me, blast it with your super-cool mini-flamethrower!




I am packing heat baby!


Gooey, Delicious Final Product

Now that the holidays are over, it’s time to turn my focus in the direction of eating healthier foods.  So no more flame-throwing for now, but I do see crème brulee in my Valentine’s future!  

4 comments:

  1. Lemme guess-Le Crussette mini ramekins, a gift from Tom? Always wanted to make the real deal and this is definitely it! Thought it was Swiss and gruyere for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The stone ware is actually a brand called Temp-tations. It is beautiful and hand painted. I have a bit of an obsession with it. And yes, Tom did buy me a few pieces of it for Christmas. You are right about the gruyere being the original cheese choice, but I prefer the provolone and parmesano-reggiano.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had one of those but I never got around to getting it filled with fuel. And flan is just easier to make than creme brulee.

    ReplyDelete