Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The Great Corned Beef Experiment of 2012



St Paddy's Day beverage of choice
For a few years now, around St. Patrick’s Day I have seen articles popping up about curing your own corned beef at home.  I have been scared to try it and always said that next year we will give it a go, only to say the same thing the following year.  This year was the year we took a leap and did it.

Tom was tired of me just talking about doing it and went out on the internet to find the supplies I needed.  Turns out all I needed is a concoction called “pink salt”.  All of the remaining ingredients were normal items you would have in your kitchen anyway.  Tom purchased the inexpensive pink salt at www.sausagemaker.com .  It is called Insta-Cure #1 and is available in 8 and 16 ounce bags.  This salt has been dyed pink so you won’t confuse it with regular table salt.  It contains sodium nitrite which kills botulism during the curing process.  (I know some of you may be thinking “Eeek!  Nitrites!” but as I only make corned beef once a year, I am not sweating it.)  You use very little so a small bag will last you forever.
Pink Salt

It turns out that curing your own corned beef is pretty darn simple.  You mix up the brine, place it with your brisket in a large plastic tub, weight it down with a plate so it stays submerged, cover it and pop it in your fridge for 5 to 7 days.  Even though it sounded simple, we bought a “safety” corned beef brisket and threw it in the freezer in case mine didn’t turn out.

I checked it every couple of days to make sure it smelled okay and that the meat was still submerged and it was always just fine.  Finally, the big day came when we would see if we had pulled it off.  I had intended to braise it slowly in the oven but my oven died.  (More about that later.)  I ended up simmering it in a large roasting pan over two burners instead. While it was cooking, the whole house had a wonderful smell of spices and garlic.  I simmered it for a total of four and a half hours until it was fork tender. 

The finished product.
Finally, it was time to give it a taste.  We took it out of the pot, and let it rest for about 30 minutes, and then Tom cut it into thin slices with the electric knife.  It looked perfect.  It had the nice deep pink color that you expect from corned beef.  It looked juicy but not fatty like some corned beef can be.  Now for the moment of truth:  we each took a taste. 

Shut the front door. 

It was hands down, the best corned beef I have ever tasted in my whole life.  The depth of flavor that you get, compared to what you get from a purchased corned beef, is indescribable.  I will never again in my lifetime buy a corned beef brisket.  It was juicy, spicy, garlicky and just plain delicious.  When I think that fear kept me from trying this sooner I could kick myself.  If you enjoy corned beef, I strongly encourage you to cure your own.  The difference is unbelievable.
Delicious, tender lean corned beef with cabbage, potatoes and carrots.

Home Cured Corned Beef Brisket with Cabbage

4 to 5 pound beef brisket (get the flat cut; it is leaner)

For the brine:

1 gallon water
1 cup dark brown sugar
8 ounces salt, by weight
4 teaspoons pink curing salt
5 tablespoons pickling spices
4 cloves garlic, crushed


For cooking the beef:

4 cups reduced sodium or salt free chicken broth
4 cups water
1 large onion - roughly chopped
2 carrots - cut in big chunks
2 ribs celery – roughly chopped
2 bay leaves
1 tablespoon black peppercorns

For the vegetables:

2 or 3 large potatoes, peeled and quartered
6 carrots, peeled and cut into large pieces
A small head of cabbage, cut into wedges

A week before cooking the corned beef, heat the brine ingredients in a large stockpot until salts and sugar have completely dissolved.  Allow to cool completely to room temperature.  Place brisket in a large plastic container (I used a Rubbermaid bin I got at the grocery store) and pour brine over the meat.  Weight down the meat with a bowl or plate to ensure the beef stays submerged in the brine.  Place the container in the fridge and check it every couple of days to make sure it remains submerged.

The day you cook the beef, remove it from the brine and discard the brine.  Place the broth, water and next 5 ingredients in a large stockpot or roasting pan and bring to a boil.  Add the brisket, return to a boil, and reduce to a simmer and cover.  Simmer until meat is fork tender, about 50 minutes per pound.

Remove the brisket to a 13 x 9 baking dish and cover with foil.  Allow the beef to rest for 30 minutes before cutting.  Pour the cooking liquid through a mesh strainer into a Dutch oven and discard the solids. 

Add water to the strained cooking liquid until you have ½ a pot of liquid.  Taste for seasoning just in case, but it is doubtful you will need to add salt.  Bring liquid to a boil.  Add carrots and potato and cook until tender, about 20 minutes.  Remove from liquid and set aside.  Add cabbage and cook until tender, about 25 minutes.

A must-have for corned beef.


I serve the beef and vegetables with my simple mustard sauce.  This is made by combining 1 part hot mustard with 2 parts sour cream.  I use a jar of Coleman’s English Mustard and 1 cup of light sour cream.  It is creamy with just the right amount of mustard bite.

Now I just have to get rid of the safety corned beef brisket in my freezer.  I think I will smoke it and make pastrami.   That’s another experiment I have been putting off.  I hope it turns out as good as this one.


3 comments:

  1. Wow, it sounds lovely! This is the first year that I have not cooked a corned beef, because of the salt. Now I wish I had. The pictures look great and made me so hungry!

    I also wanted to give a shout-out to your mustard sauce. You told me about this years ago, and after trying it, I flipped! I've been making it regularly since then. Everyone is crazy for it, and I also use it for brussel sprouts, ham, and basically anything with cabbage. Oh yes, it's good on salmon too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tom loves that sauce too. He likes it on sausage. I have got to try it on salmon. Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I liked corned beef, but I'm mostly a vegetarian. But, your corned beef looks just beautiful. I've never tried it before, it always looks raw to me. I know it's cooked, but I guess it's the red / pink color that I have to turn away from, so I've never tried it. Don't laugh, but if I ever do eat beef, it better be extra well done :-) Anyway, thank you for always telling us where to shop for the ingredients!!!

    ReplyDelete