Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Local Republic

Local Republic - my new hangout :)
Tom and I have decided to make a concerted effort to support the local, non-chain businesses in our community.   This, of course, extends to restaurants (lucky me!).  We have frequented Ray's, Pura Enchilada and Oyster Bay Seafood Cafe recently and left full and happy that our dollars were helping the local economy.

The Bar - Notice all of the beer taps

Last Friday we had lunch at another local restaurant:  Local Republic.  I found this gastro-pub while doing a search for restaurants in Lawrenceville.  The reviews were favorable and the menu looked interesting, so we decided to give it a try.  I am so glad we did.


The view of the square from my vantage point on the banquette - Beautiful day!
The eatery is housed in what I believe was originally a gas station.  The space when you walk in feels casual and airy.  There are several wooden tables with vintage style metal chairs.  A wooden banquette against the far wall has throw pillows scattered along it.  There is art on the walls and some vintage signage for an eclectic vibe.  I immediately thought, "I could hang out here".

Mexican Coke es muy bueno!!
Local Republic's menu changes often because they focus on using seasonal organic produce and meats.  They have several appetizers to choose from, along with soups, salads, entrees, sandwiches and burgers.  They offer some vegetarian options, too.  Their bar serves craft beers on tap and wine.  And God bless them, they have Mexican Coke.

Absolutely delicious!!

We started out with the goat cheese, tapanade and pesto small plate.  These three ingredients are served atop four toasted bread slices.  When you bite into one, you get the crispy texture of the bread, the creaminess from the goat cheese, the earthy, fresh flavor of the pesto followed by the briny olive flavor of the tapanade.  One perfect bite.

After we scarfed down our appetizer, we each had a burger.  Their burgers are made from antibiotic and hormone free, grass fed Brasstown Beef from Ridgefield Farm just over the border in North Carolina.  (Ridgefield Farm also supplies Atlanta area Whole Foods stores with their dry-aged beef.)

Mr. Jones

Tom had the "Mr. Jones" burger which is topped with house made pimento cheese with jalapeno & bacon.  The pimento cheese was made with sharp cheese, which is how I make mine, so thumbs up there.   I had the "Make Fungus Not War" burger which has sauteed mushrooms, melted swiss and grilled onions.  Both burgers were hot, juicy and absolutely delicious.  My only complaint would be that after eating the appetizer, neither of us could finish our enormous burger.   Next time we will probably order one burger and split it.

Make Fungus Not War!!


The service at Local Republic was very friendly and attentive.  The prices could be considered a little on the high side, but you have to keep in mind that the best ingredients simply cost more.  I am willing to pay a couple bucks more to have them hold the antibotics and hormones, thank you very much.

No styrofoam to-go boxes here!


The final verdict:  we loved Local Republic and we will be back.  One more reason to love downtown Lawrenceville!




2 comments:

  1. Okay, I'll put this one on the list! (For when I visit)

    I love your reviews BTW. You could be a food critic. But a nice one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I decided that if I didn't like a restaurant, I just wouldn't write about it. I want to keep this blog positive.

    ReplyDelete