Thursday, February 2, 2012

Quinoa - A Love Story

Last year, when I decided to start adding healthier foods to my diet, I began reading a lot about quinoa. This grain was completely foreign to me so I had to do a little research before I tried making it. It turns out this “superfood” is not a grain but a seed. It is high in protein and fiber and is super good for you.

I tried finding it at my Publix with no luck. I ended up finding it at my trusty Korean supermarket. I imagine I could ask them to order it for me at Publix too. (On a side note: I am truly glad I heard someone pronounce it on television before I asked about it at the store. Being a southern girl, I was pronouncing it kwin-oh-ah in my head, later learning it is actually pronounced keen-wah. Potential embarrassing grocery store incident averted.)

I tried a couple recipes I found on the web and found that quinoa really doesn’t have much flavor on its own. It takes on the flavors of whatever you cook it with, making it a very versatile ingredient. I have made it with tomatoes and Italian flavors and also with mangoes and curry with delicious results. My favorite is the salad I made with cucumbers, soy sauce and sesame oil. It is simple, refreshing and easy to make.

This dish is even better the next day.

Soy Sesame Quinoa Salad

¾ cup quinoa
3 cups vegetable stock
2 cucumbers – peeled and diced
2 green onions – sliced
2 tbsp. soy sauce
1 tbsp. sesame oil
2 tsp. rice wine vinegar
1 tsp. sugar

Rinse quinoa in cold running water. Quinoa can have a bitter flavor if not rinsed before cooking. Bring vegetable stock to a boil over med-high heat. Add quinoa, return to a boil, cover and reduce heat. Simmer over low heat until quinoa is translucent, about 15 to 20 minutes. Drain and let cool completely.

In a large bowl, combine the quinoa, cucumbers and green onion. In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce and the next three ingredients. Pour the liquid over the quinoa and stir to distribute throughout the mixture. Cover the bowl and chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour before serving.

I adapted this recipe from a pasta recipe I have been making for years.  It makes a nice lunch salad or a great side dish.

I served this salad with Tom's teriyaki chicken and steamed vegetable dumplings.

4 comments:

  1. How do you rinse quinoa? It's so tiny, it seeps through the holes in all my colanders!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to try this recipe. Sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use a fine mesh strainer. You could put it in cheesecloth and let water run through that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I finally made this today! Brought it to a dinner with some of Joseph's family who have celiac disease, as it's totally gluten-free. Everyone loved it! I wish I'd made a double batch.

    ReplyDelete