Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Got Carcass?

It amazes me that so many people throw out their Thanksgiving turkey carcass every year.  You can get at least two more meals out of it if you turn it into turkey soup.   I love this soup so much I will cart home the carcass from  my in-laws every year and have been known to take home the carcass from covered dishes at work if they'll let me.  I remember one year at KSA, when my friend Debbie Lapp looked at me like I was an idiot for freaking out over her throwing the carcass in the trash after our Thanksgiving lunch.  The next time I made soup I brought in a bowl for her to try.  Now she understands.

Lisa's Turkey Carcass  Soup (I know that sounds gruesome but I don't know what else to call it)

1 meaty turkey carcass
1 large onion, quartered
(One note here:  if you are using yellow or vidalia onions, leave the skins on.  Just rinse them and then quarter them.  The yellow skins on the onions will impart a nice golden color to the broth.)
2 garlic cloves, crushed
8 cups water
Generous pinch kosher salt
1 tbsp. chicken bouillon granules
2 cups canned chopped tomatoes
1 cup sliced carrots
1 cup sliced celery
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 heaping tsp. dried basil
1 1/2 cups egg noodles

Put the carcass in a stockpot with the onion and garlic and cover with the water.  Add the kosher salt and cover and bring to a boil.  When it reaches boiling, lower the heat and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally for an hour.
Everybody in the pool!

After the soup has been simmering an hour, carefully remove the carcass and set it aside to cool.  It will have fallen apart by this time, so be sure to get all the bones and meat that may have fallen off the bone.  Line a strainer with cheese cloth and pour the broth through the strainer into another large pot or bowl.  Discard the solids.


Strain the broth to catch all of the little bones and or skin
that's left behind.  This is an important step, don't skip it.

Return the broth to the pot and taste for seasoning.  If salt is needed, or you want a stronger poultry flavor, add the chicken bouillon.  This can depend on how you originally prepared your turkey.  If you brined it, it may not need it. Add the tomatoes, the vegetables and the basil and return to a boil. Lower the heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.

While the soup simmers, it's time to pick the carcass.  I can't really tell you how this is done because I have never done it before.  That's what husbands are for!  I can tell you that about two cups of bite sized pieces of turkey is what you are looking for.  If you need to supplement it with some leftover turkey to get that, do it.

After the soup has simmered for 15 minutes, throw in your egg noodles and cook for an additional 10-15 minutes until the vegetables are tender and the noodles are cooked.  Add the turkey and heat through.  Serve this with some crusty bread or biscuits to soak up the yummy broth.


Gallons of turkey goodness!

I usually have two turkey carcasses (my mother-in-law's and mine) so I make a double batch.  I put the leftovers into plastic mayonnaise jars and freeze them.  Then we have a quick, comforting meal on  hand for a fast weeknight dinner or weekend lunch.

There are several ways you can change this recipe in order to make it your own.  You can change the vegetables or substitute some cooked rice for the noodles.  You could change the spice choices, substituting curry powder or paste to make more of a Mulligatawny type soup or use cumin and cilantro for a tortilla soup. 

Hopefully this will inspire you not to pitch your carcass ever again and to be creative in  the kitchen. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Okay, I won't pitch the carcass anymore. And if I can't get around to making the soup, I'll Fedex it to ya. :)

    ReplyDelete