Sunday, December 4, 2011

Retro Steakhouse Revisited

Last night Tom and I took advantage of the beautiful crisp, clear weather and threw a  couple of bacon-wrapped tenderloin steaks on the grill.  To accompany the steaks, I prepared my take on some steakhouse favorites.

First, the cocktails.  Nothing goes together like beef and bourbon.  Bourbon and water is good, but I like a little something extra, so I go for a Manhattan or an Old Fashioned.  Last night it was Old Fashioneds.  A simple, classic cocktail that will put hair on  your chest!

A Muddler - A must for a
well-equipped bar
Old Fashioned

2 oz Bourbon - I prefer Jack Daniels
2 dashes Angostura Bitters - Look for this in the mixers section of the store
1 splash water
1/4 heaping  tsp powdered sugar
1 marashino cherry
1 slice orange
In an Old-Fashioned glass, muddle together the bitters, water, sugar, cherry and orange slice.  If you don't have a muddler, use the back of a spoon.  Add the bourbon and two ice cubes and stir.  Serves one.
Old Fashioneds
A classic accompaniment to a steak is a salad.  During the 1960's,  Thousand Island dressing was a popular condiment that remains a staple today.  My version is a far cry from the super sweet plastic bottled dressing of my youth.  It is savory, with a little twang from fresh lemon zest and subtle heat from red chilies.

Thousand Island Dressing


My secret weapon: My blue ribbon pickle relish

1 Hard boiled egg
1 clove garlic, minced
Generous pinch kosher salt
1/2 cup Mayo - I use Duke's Light
1/3 cup sweet pickle relish - I use my own recipe
zest of a small lemon
juice of one small lemon -  about 3 tbsp.
2 tablespoons ketchup
generous squirt tube chilies or asian chile paste - about 2 tsps.
Ground black pepper to taste

1000 Island - Yum!
Chop up egg and add to large bowl.  Whisk in remaining ingredients, stirring until completely combined.  Store in refrigerator up to 4 days.  I serve it on my Mom's standard combination of iceberg lettuce, sliced cucumber, diced tomato and sliced green onions.  That is the salad of my childhood.  You could use romaine or escarole, but anything like mesclun or field greens would not have the body to stand up to the dressing.  Try it on a burger or turkey sandwich as an alternative to mayo.  Trust me, once you have this, you will never go back to the bottle.

Lastly, we need a sauce for the steak.  Bottled steak sauces are okay, but for a special cut like filet mignon, I prefer to make Bernaise sauce.  Made with egg yolks and butter, Bernaise is a variation of a classic french Hollandaise sauce.  It is very rich, so I only make it a couple times a year as a treat.  Traditionally, the sauce is cooked slowly in a double boiler, but I do not have the patience for that, so I make it in the blender.


Blender Bearnaise

3 egg yolks
2 Tbsp. Tarragon or white wine vinegar
Handful of fresh tarragon
pinch kosher salt
1/2 cup butter - 1 stick


Place the egg yolks and next three ingredients in the blender, pulse a couple times to combine.  In the meantime, melt the butter in the microwave.  Then turn the blender on high and pour in the hot butter in a thin steady stream.  The result is a decadent, creamy sauce that works perfectly with the tender filet.  You can make Hollandaise by leaving out the tarragon and substituting lemon juice for the vinegar. 

Slowly pour the hot butter  in to avoid making scrambled eggs.
Combine these recipes with a perfectly grilled steak and some roasted potatoes and you will be transported to a classic mid-century steakhouse.  Bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment