Monday, November 28, 2011

Oyster Stew Lightened Up

Around this time every year, when the weather gets cold, Tom starts to drop not so subtle hints about one of his favorite winter meals:  Oyster Stew.  As I was tired of turkey, I obliged and made it for him this weekend.

Traditional southern Oyster Stew uses lots of butter and heavy cream.  My version is lighter. I cut back on the fat where I can by using only a ¼ cup of butter and 2% milk.  The results are a creamy, savory soup that feels like a splurge.

Lisa’s Oyster Stew

1 shallot – minced
1 celery stalk – minced
¼ cup butter (1/2 stick)
Heavy splash dry vermouth (You could use dry sherry as an alternative)
3 cups 2% milk (As a life-long skim milk drinker, 2% milk seems rich to me.  If you prefer something richer, please use whole milk and/or half and half.)
8 oz. container shucked oysters
Pinch cayenne pepper (to taste)
1 tbsp. minced parsley
Oysters with their liquor

Melt butter in a 2 qt. saucepan; add shallots and celery and sauté until tender.  Add the   vermouth and continue to sauté for 1 or 2 minutes until alcohol evaporates.  Add the milk and bring just barely to a boil.  Add the oysters with their liquor to the milk. Continue to cook at a simmer until the edges of the oysters begin to curl, about 5 minutes.  Add the cayenne pepper and taste and add salt and pepper as needed.  Stir in the minced parsley and serve.
Oyster Stew with Oyster Crackers

Simple and delicious!  The richness of the butter and milk and the briny flavor of the oysters are a match made in heaven.  This is an easy, satisfying winter weeknight meal when served with a salad and some crusty bread.

Stay tuned, I will be posting some of my favorite recipes for turkey leftovers.

2 comments:

  1. Ohhh, Lisa !! My family teases me about how much I like to eat Oyster Stew in the wintertime...and the first year I was married to my husband, I made it so often that he is tired of it. I WILL NEVER TIRE OF IT !! My recipe is a little different but similar and yours sound very good, will have to try sometimes like that. I'm gonna tell you my recipe and maybe y'all will like it that way, too :

    I've tried it with fresh oysters, but my favorite way is with the canned boiled ones...like Geisha or Daufuski brand, or Kroger brand, etc.

    Just heat the oysters and their juice in a soup pot and add milk and half & half if desired and butter, salt, freshly ground peppercorn melange, dried or freshly minced parsley, dried or freshly minched basil, a couple of dashes of Old Bay seasoning, a dash of dried red pepper flakes, and lots of paprika. I simmer until hot and steamy and serve with those cute little oyster crackers like you have pictured with yours and a splash of Tabasco or Louisiana Hot Sauce. YUMMMM... Girl, this is my most favorite comfort food for the winter. I'm glad to hear that y'all love it, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops...sorry about my couple of type-o issues there ! LOL

    ReplyDelete