Sunday, November 20, 2011

Twist on a Crabby Classic

Aaaahhhh.....
Every year Tom and I try to get to the Florida panhandle at least once for vacation.  Last year we were forced by the unfortunate situation in the Gulf to relocate our vacation to St. Simon's Island.  St. Simon's is lovely and I had a wonderful time but I am still longing for sugar white sand, warm clear water and fresh Gulf seafood!

The first thing I always order when I go out for that first vacation meal is a Southern classic:  a West Indies Salad.  First created in 1947 by Mobile restaurateur Bill Bayley, it is a staple in many seafood restaurants from northwest Florida to Biloxi.  Delicious and simple, it just screams "Florida!" to me. I have added some chilies and changed the original yellow onion to red onion to give it a little extra bite but have otherwise stuck with the traditional recipe. The end result is a refreshing salad that feels fancy and indulgent.

Best "As Seen on TV" item ever!
Spicy West Indies Salad for 2

1/2 lb. lump crab meat - use lump not claw or back meat
3 tbsp. finely chopped red onion - I use my trusty Slap Chop!
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
Gourmet Gardens tube chilies (see my earlier post from 11/17/11)
1/4 cup ice cold water
Bibb Lettuce


Yum!

In the bottom of a small bowl, spread one half of the of the chopped onion.  Layer the crab on top of the onion.  DO NOT STIR.  Season with kosher salt. Layer the remaining onion on top of the crab.  Combine the oil, vinegar, tube chilies to taste and ice water in a separate bowl.  Pour over the crab and onion and resist the urge to stir.  Cover and refrigerate overnight.  To serve, stir together and using a slotted spoon, spoon it onto Bibb lettuce leaves.  You can use another lettuce if you like, the crab is the star here. 

This dish is perfect for a celebration like Valentine's Day or an anniversary.  Try serving it in a large martini glass lined with the lettuce leaves for a special presentaion.  Tom and I are having it with a grilled steak for a perfect surf and turf dinner.  I hope you try it and enjoy it as much as we do.

Note:  Tom is loving this new blog.  He is reaping the benefits of all my recipe experiments!


3 comments:

  1. Ohh, girl...you've got me craving CRAB and the BEACH !! I love all seafood and especially crab and oysters, yummm. I love this blog...it's so professional, just like the others. I think you could very well be the next "Food Network Star" !! Go for it, I tell ya... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm, I've got to try that one. And ditto what Jamie said, your blog is very professional. I esp. love the background on each recipe.

    ReplyDelete