Thursday, November 17, 2011

Gnocchi Dokey!

Tom came through with one my wish list items for my birthday:  a food mill.  I had been thinking of getting one for years.  There are several canning recipes I have never attempted because I didn’t own one.  The thing that pushed me over the edge was the gnocchi recipe in the new Anne Burrell cookbook.  Every recipe of hers I have ever tried has been fantastic so if she says I need a food mill, I need a food mill.

There are several models of food mills out there ranging in price from $19.99 to $200.  I was not in the market for a pricey model but didn’t want to cheap out either.  In the end, we went with the $50 OXO model.  If I find later on that I love it and want something more substantial, I’ll invest in a more expensive professional grade.


My new mill
 
Throw the food in here and then turn the crank











On to the gnocchi!  Gnocchi are little Italian dumplings made out of various things such as flour, potato, eggs, cheese and spinach.  The gnocchi I started out with are made from potatoes, cheese, flour and eggs.

Potato Gnocchi

Bake 5 large potatoes in a 375 degree oven for 45 minutes to an hour.  When they are done and cool enough to handle, peel off the skins.  Cut into quarters and run them through the food mill to “rice” them.  Spread them on a large baking sheet and allow to cool completely.  If you make your dough with warm potatoes, they will absorb too much flour and be heavy.  I used part of this time to make a Spicy Marinara for the gnocchi (See recipe below).

Potatoes that have been run through the milll

Once the potatoes are cool, combine 2 large eggs with ¾ cup freshly grated Parmigiano reggiano.   Sidebar - Don’t you dare use the stuff in the round green box!  Buy it fresh in the Deli and grate it yourself.   Throw out the green box! 

I have kind of a small working space so I did this next step in two batches but if you have the space you only have to do it once.  Pour the egg & cheese mixture over the milled potatoes and then season with kosher salt.  Sprinkle flour over the mixture starting with a little over a cup, using up to 3 cups.  It depends on the humidity so start out slow.  Begin to work potatoes and flour together with your fingers.  The dough should be moist but not tacky.   If it is feeling tacky, add more flour and continue to work it together.   Form the dough into a large log.

Big dough log and little dough rope
Gnocchi!
Cut 1 inch slices off of the dough log and roll with your hands into ropes.  Cut the gnocchi into ½ inch pieces, dust with flour and put on a baking sheet covered with flour in a single layer.  Gnocchi should be cooked or frozen immediately.  If freezing, freeze them on a baking sheet then put them in a plastic bag and throw them back in the freezer.  They can go directly from the freezer to boiling water.

If cooking immediately, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.  Drop the gnocchi into the water and cook until they float to the top of the water.  Once they come to the top, cook for 2 to 3 minutes more.    Scoop the gnocchi out of the water, toss with your favorite sauce and top with Parmigiano.

This recipe produced the lightest, fluffiest gnocchi.  Like little clouds.  There is nothing worse than a heavy dumpling hitting the bottom of your stomach. I tossed mine with my Spicy Marinara and served with a simple shrimp scampi.  Yum!

Spicy, Tomato-y Goodness!


These are the only
tomatoes I buy








Spicy Marinara Sauce

Olive Oil
2 Cloves garlic
1 box Pomi tomatoes
Tube Chilies
Fresh basil


Best convenience food ever!
In the produce section

In a large skillet heat a tablespoon or so of olive oil (always Extra Virgin).  Peel and chop the garlic and add to the olive oil and sauté for 1 or 2 minute without browning the garlic.  Over browning the garlic will make it bitter and ruin your sauce.  Add a generous squirt of tube chilies and sauté a minute or so.  Add the box of Pomi chopped tomatoes and check for seasoning, adding kosher salt to taste.  Simmer for about 10 minutes on low to allow the flavor to develop.  Add a generous handful of shredded fresh basil.  Never use dried basil in marinara; it’s just not the same.  Allow to simmer for 2 or 3 more minutes and then you are good to go.  This sauce is good on any kind of pasta and takes no time to make. 


Okay, I'm not a food stylist but hey, it's good!

My first time using my new gadget was a success.  I am dreaming of all the possibilities now:  homemade ketchup in the summer, applesauce in the fall.  This little machine is a keeper!

2 comments:

  1. I've never cared for gnocchi; maybe they were too heavy. I'd like to try them. I'm definitely going to copy your tomato sauce recipe; it sounds heavenly! Hope I can find Pomi tomatoes and tube chili.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My experience with ordering gnocchi in restaurants was the same too. The gnocchi was always dense and swelled up in your stomach. This recipe uses less flour and they came out fluffy.

    ReplyDelete